Monday, February 16, 2009

What the heck is "family day" anyways!

Ok, so while I appreciate the holiday "family day". I really do. But honestly, what good is family day if the main part of your family is not home to celebrate/partake in the festivities OF "family day".

And really, if family day has been created so that "families" can be together, what are you suppose to DO on family day that you can't do on the weekend?

Let me tell you my dilemma.
First and foremost, the other parent in this family is not home. He's working. He's working because he's the one person who has to work on family day. This is an issue because I have nothing to do now. Nowhere to take my left over family to celebrate the day.

Everything is closed. Which brings me to my other point......

If everything is closed, there is nothing to do with my family on family day except either go outside *I'm too much of a wuss in the cold* or sit in the house and pick my brain until I decide or figure out just what on earth to do with my family.

So far today we've played board games, watched movies and played cars.

Its noon and I'm fresh out of fun things to do.

I could take the kids skating but honestly, I'd only end up stressed out with six skates to tie and one body to keep propped up in my arms. My back would ache for the whole week. If Luke could skate, I might consider this an option but because he can't.....its just not going to happen.

I could take them shopping but thats more for me and lets face it, its Family Day and nothing is open.

The bowling alley is open today and I could also consider this an option if it didn't cost almost $6.o0 each. So that would be almost twenty bucks and then some after buying slushies to bowl with kids who have no concept of how to play bowling except to throw the ball.

So here I sit....on Family Day. Feeling a little bitter that I have nothing to do. No prospects.
I am considering painting the boys bedrooms except I have no paint or supplies. Nothing is open so its not like I can just go buy the stuff.

I guess it is lunch time, so I can busy ourselves for the next hour.
I've put on spaghetti for dinner and I always do have that to look forward to.
I've invited my folks over for dinner but they're not feeling very "family-ish" today which is silly considering its JUST the second biggest holiday in FEBRUARY!

Come on people!
What are YOU doing on Family Day??????

I can show you what my kids are doing.....
Building forts, eating snacks and taking in a little "finding nemo" before I move them on to our next task of this adventurous day.

Just possibly later, I'm saving it in my back pocket for when they get bored, I might let them go outside and pick up poop balls in the back yard before Layla eats them all.

Yes, my dog eats her frozen poop.
Joy.

Michelle

No comments: