Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I'm Avoiding


Meet Abby. Abby is my friends daughter. Actually she is also the daughter of the man I drove to the bus on yesterdays post. Isn't she a cutie? Anyways this post has nothing to do with Abby. Nothing at all. I promise. This post is about why on earth I would want to attempt to take pictures inside my dark, cavelike house.
I think I'm just born to take pictures outside only. I mean, I still have a lot to learn outside so it seems silly to come inside and learn a whole OTHER ball of wax. Doesn't that seem stupid? I haven't even mastered one domain yet I want to bring it inside and jump into another pile of 'stuff'.

So I sit here at my computer. I'm all surfed out. Tried looking high and low. Gathered what I thought was valuable information only to come to one conclusion. The same one I had the other day. I know nothing. Actually I think I know more than I knew yesterday, with regards to studio lighting but at this point, I think its all a matter of preference. I almost need to go somewhere where they have different 'set ups'. You know, softbox plus one umbrella, two soft boxes, two umbrellas, etc and I just need to snap away until I find what I like.

According to "the net", its really a matter of preference and you can pretty much do the same thing with it all but get different results based on how you use it. So, now that i know THAT, I'm still clueless as to what I want, what I need and how I get it. Well, I know how I get it because I have Peat sitting over my shoulder flashing a dazzling VISA card in my face. He thinks he's helping me but really what he's saying is "the sky is the limit, do as you please". This is just too much freedom for me. I need someone to tell ME what to buy. If he were to say "not now Michelle, Christmas is just around the corner", I'd turn off my computer and delete my bookmarks of sites and carry on with my day. It was a relatively happy day up until lunch time.

So I try to be measured and calculated. What kind of person drops a thousand bucks on themselves THIS close to Christmas. I do not want to be responsible for my children waking up Christmas morning to find only socks and underwear because Mommy spent all the money on herself. Although I could take lasting treasured photographs that will be passed down for generations.. Yes, that sounds much better.

I'm still not sure what I want because most of what I want is in the United States. Which means shipping fees. Which also means duty and whatever other delivery services can get away with thieving from unsuspecting customers. Bunchabullcrap if you ask me. But you didn't.

I really like the http://www.alienbees.com/ set up. I want the DIGI Package. Or the next one up. Whatever. Its all the same to me. I like the pink one and yellow one but seriously, do I need this set up just so I can have one pink light and one yellow light? I know Justin would appreciate it because he loves everything yellow but I don't think I should hinge this purchase on a yellow light. Although I might. I do like the pink one.

Then I need to ask myself questions like, "do i need to buy a light meter? can't I just use my in camera meter for exposure?" Do I need to buy a sync cable? A radio transmitter? See, I have no idea what any of these things are AT ALL but yet I'm throwing around these words aimlessly like I have a clue. Which I don't. But if I were talking to someone who wasn't into photography, they'd think I had quite an extensive background in it. As long as they didn't see my dazzled unsure eyes darting around while trying to figure out if what i just said made any sense.

I think I need to go read some more. I'll be back later to tell you what I've decided.


Good Lord I just re read my post. I lack in capitolization today.
Wriggs.

No comments: