Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Two Peas In A Pod. Not a Chance!

See this eye? This eye belongs to my youngest son Luke. Lukey. Its just what I call him. Would you believe that neither Lukes mother *me* or his father *Peat* have blue eyes? Not only that, but NONE of Lukes grandparents have blue eyes either. Perhaps this is why I question whether or not he's actually my child.

Could there have been a mix up at the hospital? Always possible. The only thing that keeps us convinced he's ours is that my mother claims he's the same as me when I was a child *defiant and opinionated* and the fact that his eye shape resembles my fathers as well has Peats. I could really go either way.


Enter Justin. This is my oldest son Justins eye. You will notice that Justin looks straight at me. Not like Lukes wandering eye. Luke doesn't have time to look anyone in the eye.
Justin has beautiful deep brown eyes. As brown as brown can be. They're sensitive caring eyes.

Of course they are, he's mine!

lol.
Actually, according to Peat, Justin is identical to Peat as a youngster. I'll have to dig up a picture of Peat in his younger years later.
Both my children have circles under their eyes. I never knew my 'tiredness' would affect them so much :) kidding.

Justin was always my baby in that he really loved his mom. Always cuddling me, always lovin' me up. Always by my side and holding my hand. Always! Until this past summer. It started one day when I went to drop him off at Summer Daycamp. I went to bend down to give him a kiss and hug and he dodged out of my way, left me hanging there like a moron. At least its how I felt. At first I thought he didn't realize I was attempting to kiss him goodbye so I tried again but he couldn't get away from me fast enough.

One counsellor, while I'm sure she was trying to be sweet, said to me , "oh mom, not to worry, you're just ruining his cool factor". I wanted to slap her. I should have slapped her. My son doesn't have a cool factor. He's FIVE for crying out loud.

When I got my hands on him later that day we had a talk. He decided he didn't want to talk so I let it be. And then it happened the next day too.

It took me a week but I finally found out that Charlie *dear sweet Charlie* had kissed his mom goodbye the day before and all the kids laughed at him. 6 yr olds can be so cruel. Poor Charlie. So, I sort of understood and told Justin that if he didn't want me to kiss him then I wouldn't. And I didn't. And I don't. But I did tell him that in our home, he had to cuddle with me and give me lots of hugs because it would be hard for me to not hug him up. He agreed.

He lied.

That boy is so untouchy feely with me its not funny. Some would say he's a lot like me but I'm sorry, he's my baby boy. He needs to love his mother. Peat thinks that I just back off a little, and stop asking him why and when, that he'll come around. I'm hoping he's right. I need his little arms to hug me. I keep reminding him that I made him and that without me he wouldn't be here but really, it just brings on more questions than I'd like to tackle for now.

So I move on to Luke. He's whiney. Always whining. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard. But he loves me and isn't tainted by the outside cruel harsh world. He likes to hug me, he likes to latch on to my leg and hang tight. He likes to kiss me and he sees nothing wrong with showing his love and appreciation to his mom.

Ok, appreciation is a little much. He just isn't afraid to love his momma.
So I ask...
Will Justin ever come out of this phase? I hope so.

Michelle

No comments: