Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Babooshka


Did you know that Babooshka means "Grandmother in Russian".
I would have never guessed. Seriously. Google it. I google a lot of things.
So for those of you who don't know whats been going on, or perhaps are super perplexed as to why I haven't really posted in a few days, let me share my story with you.
Shortly after taking those pictures of that little baby a few posts ago, I edited all the pictures, put them all on a CD for Brandi. *Brandi is the babies MOMMA* Ok, so put them all on a disc for Brandi and then DELETED the pictures from my Camera as well as from my computer. Then, just because I really liked on of the pictures, I took a few to Walmart to have them developed.
I was SURE they'd be awesome. By awesome, my main problems with Walmart have been underexposure, overexposure and WRONG cropping for photo size. EEEEK!
SO I get the envelope and slowly open it. I was grinning from ear to ear. Peat watched me open the envelope with a big smile on my face KNOWING that when I opened up the package, I would be very proud of myself. WRONG!
Opened it up, peeked at the pictures, stuffed them back into the package and walked outta there faster than I could even keep up with myself. Is that possible? Because that's what I did.
I got home and cried. Cried and cried. First of all, every picture was SO blown out. I mean, areas of the babies face, clothing were so blown that there was no detail at all. Just a big white blurb. I cried for a while. I was grumpy. I think somewhere in and around all of this I vowed to never pick of my camera again. I do this a lot when I'm frustrated. I know when I'm saying it, there is no truth to it but it does, it feels good to just say it. So I do.
Hey, I'm not perfect.
Anyways, Peat knew it was best to just steer clear and avoid the subject until I calmed down. During this time I had sent a few emails to some girls from my photography site. By the way BETH and SHRIVA *don't even know you're real name*..... I can't thank you enough!
Anyways I shared the pics with them and they confirmed that the pictures were NOT blown at all on their calibrated monitors. PHEW! Except I was still stuck with what to do. SO, Peat and I were in Ottawa on Sunday and so we stopped in and I printed out the same pictures from the disc. Its funny because when I got the envelope I was afraid to open it. Peat was like, GO ON, OPEN IT. I clutched them to my chest in fear! I mean, if they were crap.....that would seal the deal? I couldn't DO this. I can't compete in the world of photographY! Not now, not ever. So I held onto the package, unopened. Clutching to my last few minutes as a "just starting out photographer".
I opened the pictures and they were perfect. Just perfect. Then I had my answer. Walmart sucks for photo processing. Period. This isn't the first batch of pictures they've sold me that have been awful. I always thought there was something I was doing wrong. There wasn't. It was them and their equipment. I'm done developing pictures there. 4x6's ... sure. Nothing else. Nothing that matters.
I just wish that I knew it was WALMART before Peat bought me my new computer with the 22 inch MEGA SCREEN. My eyes are bugging out its so big. I"ll take a picture of it tomorrow.
This picture of Luke is the first pic I've edited on my new computer. Me LIKES IT!
Wriggs.

No comments: