Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Non Fiddle Playing Father


This is my dad. He is now officially retired AND living here in Petawawa. I can also NOW say that my poor mother has been living here in Petawawa since May this year. She moved here before my dad. They had purchased the house here in the spring LAST year and my mom moved up earlier this year.
She didn't want anyone to know she's been staying alone in that big house. She was always a nervous wreck despite having a security system. One day I actually drove down her lane way to pick her up and the police were there because of a false alarm. Only my mother ;)
Anyways, shes been nervous out there on the lake all by her lonesome and now she no longer has to stay alone. My dad has retired and is now officially residing in PET!
So moving along to his first goal of retirement. My father decided that HE *the one who has no musical talent that I know of* has decided to take up the fiddle. First of all, did you know a fiddle and a violin are the same instrument? I didn't know that. I do now. Anyways, he's decided that he will learn to play the fiddle. Or a violin, whatever. He will play it. Let there be music!
So in my attempt to reconnect with my family, who I've lived far far away from, for four years, I have ALSO decided that this is something that I would like to do with my father.
I have spent countless hours looking at my new violin/fiddle. I don't know what to call it yet. Since I don't know how to play it, there is no point in naming it. I have a fiddle for dummies book, which so far I have found quite informative. I just LOVE taking it out of the case and playing a slightly awful version of twinkle twinkle little star. I'm going to look around for lessons. My father feels we should learn to play it on our own. I think I may get a little help and then pretend I am really picking it up quickly :) Nah, thats just wrong.
Anyways, its not like i need to learn it over night, right?
I've decided to pull out my old CD's with some fiddlin' songs on it. You know, the Dixie Chicks seem to have a lot. Plus there is "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". Ok, I don't think I'll ever be able to play like that! But the song sure is motivational.
Anyways, should be a fun ride. Its late, time for bed.
Night!
Wriggs

No comments: