Saturday, November 29, 2008

I'm an expert you know!

You know what I did this morning? Something very stressful. Something very "out of my element" I mean, what does little old ME, know about TIRES?

Many of the people who read this blog *although I'm sure there aren't many and if there are many, you probably DO know* probably don't know that once upon a time I worked a very physical demanding job as a TIRE INSTALLER. I did. I'm not lying. Dirty greasy hands, oil under my nails, coveralls and everything. I changed oil, batteries and tires. Did flat repairs, balanced and rotated tires. Installed new ones, GAVE ADVICE on what was the best for their vehicle!

I was in control of my automotive needs. I did my own oil changes, changed my own tires, maintained my own vehicle because I WAS the professional.

After having Justin I even went back to work for a year. Then we moved here and I quit my job to have a family and raise my kids.

So today I went out in search of new tires because the ones I put on *with my own bare hands* in 2005, needed replacing. And I was the WOMAN to do it. I am a professional Tire expert!

It was hardest friggen thing EVER! All of a sudden I was every person I ever cringed at. Coming into the shop without a tire size. WHO DOES THAT. Look at your tire, learn your size and come INTO the shop and present it to me. Wasn't my job to know what your car took. There are so many different options! So after lowering my head in shame, walking back to my car to get the size, I went back in ready to make a decision.

It was so hard!

It was easy when I was working because I knew OUR tires inside and out. I knew what was the best of what we had, why it was the best and why others didn't quite measure up! Tires have changed a lot in the past 4 years and today I found myself searching *unsuccessfully* for a set of tires from a brand I knew. A brand I trusted.....but I couldn't find any.

SO I had to tuck away my last tiny ounce of knowledge and put my automotive needs, in the hands of someone else. I found myself confused, dazed and completely dumbfounded. I didn't want the tires I bought but I bought them because the price was right. I'm one of THOSE customers now. Just a customer, out looking for some tires. Prefer the cheaper ones because its Christmas and other bills pile up at Christmas.

Its times like this that a wee small part of me wishes I was the expert again.

*sigh*
Wriggs

No comments: