Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 9 and 10 of 365




These are day 9 and 10.
This is me. This is the me that I like to think I still look like. I like to think I ever looked like. Yes, perhaps a little overdone. Kids have aged me quite a bit but Peat snapped this picture of me so I decided "HECK, I'M GONNA POST IT" because I really don't look like that.

Although I'd like to think I do still somewhat resemble it a little. But I don't. But that's neither here nor there.
So "ME" is picture 9 of 365 and today Luke was Kung Fu Fighting, don't all 'almost' three year old boys who have older brothers?
He was quite excited with himself. For a few moments, Luke WAS "the dragon warrior".
Anyways, I'm having a lot of fun with my 365 but to be honest, its a little time consuming. My camera use to just sit in the bag for a few days then I'd whip it out for something here and there but now I just have to keep it on my desk upstairs. You never know when the moment will strike. Today, it was at 12:15pm, while Luke was the Dragon Warrior. He loves that movie.
Its nice to see the camera out so much but every day as soon as I spot it sitting there, my first thought is "What the heck am I going to take a picture of today"? I think this project might have a little more to do with 'thinking outside the box' than I had originally anticipated. I mean, I get bored very easily. I think its my short attention span... see, I already forget where I was going with this.
Let me go up and refresh my memory...
Oh yes, I think part of the process of being a good photographer is seeing things ... every day things and finding a way to see the special and uniqueness of that moment. Then capturing it and preserving it. So, this 365'er is helping me to find things, normal every day things and catching it on camera. My children may hate it now *although Justin is another story* but in year to come I'm hoping they are grateful for all of the moments that I didn't let slip away. Or I'm hoping that their wives will at least appreciate my effort ;)
Now that Justin has a camera of his own, I see his excitement when he sees a photo-worthy moment. I see his eyes light up a little and I see myself in him. I also see myself in him and have to laugh a little when I hear him say, "ok everybody look at me and love each other for the picture" and when Luke disobeys, because Luke will always disobey, I see Justin clench his jaw much the same way that I do and I see his blood pressure rise. Much the same as mine does while photographing my own family.
Once he gets the picture, he's SO excited. I barely have the heart to tell him that he's cut off dads head *who can blame him, the man is 6'4"* and that he much have moved because we're all blurred. He's still young and innocent and not bothered by his own insecurities and inabilities. Is that a word? He thinks every picture he takes is a masterpiece.

I think we all have a lot to learn from kids. I think I have quite a bit to learn from Justin.
This is hard work.
Wriggs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look so forward to your blog, you are amazing. You write so well, stuff I would so say but could never put into words...ya know what i mean?? Jelly bean
Why don't you put the pic on your blog that i took of you holding your camera
Kris