Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ok, more time than I thought


"WOW, I love that picture of Layla". I think I'm going to blow it up really big.

She deserves big. She is such a softie with a big heart.


The fact alone that she hasn't eaten either of my children is worth all the doggie bones this mama can find. As a matter of fact, if I were her, I would have eaten at least Luke by now.


Layla ... since today is about Layla.... has always been very calm and measured. I remember when she was 4 months old, people would come over and hang out in our living room. Layla would be asleep at our feet or in the middle of the room. People would comment, "does she ever get excited?" Its not like she's lazy. Ok, she's a bit lazy but I think she's learned that. I don't know who she's picked it up from but its a moot point.


She's always been pretty laid back. I remember getting her home thinking, "oh gawd, I hope she doesn't freak out when she hears how loud and long Luke screams for". She didn't. I don't think she noticed.


She has gotten quite comfortable lately with my couch and chair in my living room. I will find her stretched out on the couch with no desire to move or balled up on my chair with one eye peeped open to make sure no little people are near her.

This is somewhat new for her. She felt us out for a while and for a while we were quite ruthless about kicking her shedding butt off the furniture. But a few weeks ago, Peat and I saw Marley and Me and well...the rest is history. She can do no wrong now.


We notice now that Layla is always with us. She's always under our feet or behind us just a few steps. She can be dead asleep and Luke will fall off the couch onto her and you know how she responds? She just gets up and moves. No snarls. No barks and groans. Just gets up and moves. She knows that a small child falling is a small price to pay for a happy home life :)


When we first got her, the names I tossed around were "Cash, Titus and Cain". Then I remembered she was a female. We had the chance to name her before she came home. I was caught up in the moment of having big bad male dog names. Once I started fishing for female, soft and gentle names, I came up with five choices.
1: Layla
2: Lila
3: Lucy
4: Lola
5: Lilly
Layla was actually not my first choice. Lucy was. I wanted SO bad to name her Lucy. But Luke was only 5 weeks old and I had been calling him "Lukey" and I didn't want either one of them to become confused. Had I known that it wouldn't matter and that neither of them would listen anyways, no matter what I named her or didn't name her, I would have picked my choice and called her Lucy.
Is that a run on sentence?
I do believe it is!

Anyways, here is one more picture of Layla. I love it because she looks like she has lips. She doesn't, if you look close its her tongue and teeth. But, if I didn't tell you that, you'd think she had lips, wouldn't you!


Come on...you would too ;)
Michelle

No comments: