Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bonding Time


This is Luke, my two year old and his dad Pete. Let me tell you a little something about their relationship. It started, obviously, two and a half years ago when Luke was born. Pete, being a second time dad, thought "easssy, second son....been there done that". Boy was he wrong. Not only was Luke NOTHING like our oldest son Justin, he also had a temper, a mind of his own AND a voice to assert it!

Luke was born on St.Patricks Day, 2006. His full name, just for the sake of embarrassment, is Luke Anthony Patrick Wrigglesworth *who doesn't want to smile just saying that last name*. Luke was born at 38 wks and came home from the hospital after just a day and a half. We were so excited to have him come home. He was a good baby for the first week and a half. Then it started. He started crying. I mean screaming non stop. None of us could stand him. I remember one day Justin was coming in from outside with our teenage neighbour and all I could hear was him at the door saying, "Come see my new baby brother. He cries all the time but thats ok, its not our fault". So this was Luke. We weren't thrilled. Our euphoria quickly dissipated.

Around 8 wks, Luke suddenly stopped crying. Its probably best that he did because no one really knew what to do with him anymore. Then for a short period of time we felt that Luke was such a good happy baby boy. His only issue was that he was an early riser. Pretty nice kid if you ask me. Then at 9 months old he started this whiney, screaming, grumpy, clingy act. Only it didn't end. I remember praying that it was just a phase. I remember going to the doctor insisting that something was wrong with him. Turns out NOTHING was wrong with him. Turns out, it was just his personality. And he never let us forget it. Luke is still "Luke" in every sense of the word.

Because I'm a stay at home mom, Luke is very opinionated in his desire to have me care for him. If I'm not home, he lets the world know how NOT pleased he is. Recently, I've been working out of the house a little bit and Pete has mentioned to me that when I'm not home, Luke is really coming around with him. Its about bloody time. My husband works shift work and spends a lot of time at home, so its not like he doesn't know who he is!

I was more than happy to catch this special moment between father and son.
Wriggs

No comments: