Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A walk down memory lane...

Sometimes *not often* I will sit down with my photo album and look at pictures of my life. I don't generally look at pictures of my childhood or even my teenage years. I often open the book my 'real' life. You know the one....the one that starts the day you walk down the aisle with Mr. Right. I open our wedding album and reminisce about the day that we said "I DO". It was a perfect day. The sun was shining, the fall colors were out in full bloom. My best friend Tasha was down from Sarnia and she even did my hair. Tell me what best friend in all the world would commit to doing your hair on your wedding day. If you ask me, it could have gone really bad or really good. It went really good.



We picked flowers to decorate the archway that my husband and I would later marry under. The ceremony was perfect. From the view of the lake to the perfectly set up white chairs facing the archway. Our first dance....amazing. Just the two of us out on the dock dancing cheek to cheek.

Anyways *sorry that was a little off topic* I love looking at photo albums. The next album I tend to open next is the one of my babies. My precious bundles of joy. Justin and Luke. I love to look at Justins pictures because he was born at 33 weeks and well, he was just SO breakable and tiny. Tiny but perfect in every darn way imaginable. Then there was the pictures of Luke. My precious baby Lukey. Perfect and pink from head to toe. I love watching them grow.



Much the same way I like to see how I've grown.


I think that's all that needs to be said right now. Get out your Kleenex my friends, I'm about to share some pictures with you. Some pictures.....of myself. Through the years. Even the years I wasn't born yet. Brace yourself.


No laughing.

No laughing out loud.


This is me in 1950. I thought that I looked great back then but now looking back I can clearly see that I had no idea how to apply basic foundation. I wish someone had told me I had make up lines.

Anyways, my hair was always perfect. It had to be. I strived for perfection. I'd say, most days, I met my mission.


I'd like you to also note the way my face shape has changed throughout the years. I guess my hair has changed as well.


Geeze, just like it was yesterday :)

Moving on......

Enter 1952. Now in 1952 I didn't NEED glasses, per se, but my friends were all trying this new fad. Everyone...just everyone had to have glasses.

I wasn't necessarily one to follow the pack but I remember trying these puppies on that year and just fell in love. Made me feel a little more confident.
As you will also note, I did eventually learn the whole application of make up. This time it would seem that I figured out how to apply it to my whole face. Someone obviously forgot to tell me that the neck is a crucial part of the puzzle.

I tried a few more highlights this year. But overall I was pretty pleased with myself. My glasses, my new skill of make up application.
I really was the total package. I'm quite certain my husband would have loved me back then. In the 1950's. Heck, I loved myself. Just look at me!
Moving on..........



The year was 1972 and I just don't really remember this year. I see myself here but have absolutely no recollection of my life at this time.
I was obviously carefree and happy. I smiled a lot. I think I was probably a little confused. I see my hair is a little more liberal. Not so conservative and stuffy.


Ooops, a little make up blunder on my chin but overall a big improvement.







BOOO YA!
I know. I know. Everyone else was doing it and honestly, at the time I thought it looked great. I see now, how silly it was. Everyone goes thru an experimental phase with their hair. this was mine.

I see my make up application was still amiss. I must have been going for au natural. Seems I did apply some to my neck. Good lord, I don't know whats more embarrassing!

It took me quite some time to tame this hair.

Lets move on shall we?


The year was 1980 and I was still recovering from my hair of the late seventies. My mom had tried to help with a relaxer but I was still suffering some ill effects. I had some pretty tops to distract. My friends still loved me. I'm sure we all had the same hair :) It was a trend.



God I loved the 80's. Honestly. Headbands, leg warmers, spandex, big hair and gobs of make up? Who didn't love the 80's.
In the 80's I let loose. Really let my hair down. I went big and blond with more hairspray than I could shake a stick at. If I went out in the wind and there was any movement...then IN the house I had to go to pile on just a little more spray.
My father calls it the rams horn. Whatever that means! He was certainly no expert on fashion and hair. WHATEVA!
My face pudged up a little. Who didn't gain some weight in the 80's. My forehead was still long but I had a way with bangs.
I can't say, looking back, that I quite mastered the art of make up. I see my neck was still light. Hmm. Why didn't anyone say anything?
Moving on........

Another humm-dinger. I think after the few years of yo yo dieting I evened out but looking back I see I was a little thin. My hair had grown, was still blond and I still carried my Rams Horn loud and proud. 1992 was the year. Oh the good ol' days. My youth.


Enter 1996. A year from graduation. I was attending St. Clair College in Windsor. Bleach was the new blond and everyone just kept telling me I just had to try it out. So I did. The one last stupid thing before going out into the real world. The fuzz of the past was long gone and my hair had seen its share of dead ends but looking back, I was a respectable woman. Still am.

Make up no longer mattered. Acid wash was a thing of the past but I liked to assert myself and I purposely wore this acid wash dress just to rebel. The long dangley earrings were my friends idea *giggle*


Oh the real world, just around the corner.




So although this isn't what I look like now *two young boys have an effect on a woman* I would like to think that I came out of the 80's and the 90's with my dignity intact.

The hair was much more natural, flowy and classy. Still blond with dark roots but I was just starting out in this world. Who'd a thunk that just one year after this picture, in 1999, I would meet my Prince Charming.

Just wait darling, when I have time, I'm SOOOO gonna year book you :)

Hope you all have enjoyed my walk down memory lane. If you haven't done it yourself, I really suggest you do. It will make you laugh and who doesn't need a good laugh.

If I could find a recent picture I'd put one up but I think its getting late and that's going to have to wait until tomorrow.
*YAWN*
G'night

Wriggs

No comments: